The mission of CSRI is to bridge the gap between the Khmer community and the general public through art, language, and cultural events.Cambodian Society of Rhode Island seeks to develop, promote and preserve community development to celebrate and embrace diversity; they live in by:
- Helping create a new foundation for Cambodians in a diverse community
- Providing in-depth cultural history
- Give foundation for emerging leadership and tools for success
- Promoting cultural preservation and create positive community impact
- Maintaining a strong community through education, arts, music and extracurricular activities
- Developing and integrating the community with cultural understanding
- Outreaching and gaining community based partnerships
With the fall of communist regime in Cambodia in January 1979, thousands of Cambodian people fled their homeland and crossing border to Thailand in an attempt to avoid political persecution and starvation.
With interventions of the office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
Cambodian Society of R.I was formed in 1982 with its unique goals stated in the by-laws, and according to its by-laws the purpose of the Cambodian society is “to assist the Cambodian people in the state of Rhodes Island with regard to charitable, educational, and cultural concerns”.